[Patternfly] UXD Team - Thoughts on multi column forms

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 13:07:07 UTC 2016

Greg Sheremeta, MBA
Red Hat, Inc.
gshereme at redhat.com

On Sep 23, 2016 9:01 AM, "Tiffany Nolan" <tnolan at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure where the planned usage is, but if there is a desire for
this same pattern to be used on mobile devices as well, I would recommend
staying with a single column, especially for the name and address fields.

Wow, +1.

> Kind regards,
>
> Tiffany Nolan
> Senior Interaction Designer - Developer Experience
> UXD Team | Red Hat Westford
> tnolan at redhat.com
>
> Good design, when it’s done well, becomes invisible. It’s only when it’s
done poorly that we notice it.
> – Jared Spool
>

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Gabriel Cardoso <gcardoso at redhat.com>
wrote:

>> SJ, the New and Returning user pattern is a very good application for
this.

>> I’m not against multiple columns, and think it makes sense in case of
many inputs to fill in, specially if u can group the related ones.
>> My suggestion would be to align the labels above the inputs. This makes
the grid stronger and IMO is easier to map the fields.

>> Thanks,
>> Gabriel
>>

>>> On Sep 23, 2016, at 9:06 AM, Greg Sheremeta <gshereme at redhat.com> wrote:

to be single column. I will say, frequently, because I'm usually filling
out my own address, it all autofills for me.

>>> +1. I use Lastpass, but for those times it fails ...

uncommon - tabbing would be a priority.

thought to myself -- hmm, I hate all multi-column forms. Then I looked at
the address form -- yep, hated it. Then I thought about wanting to fill out
my address -- hm, I hate it when the last name field is under the first
name. Gah, the zip should always be next to the city! Oh, so, I don't hate
it! It's exactly correct! lol

discussion IMO and can just get stamped as a pattern :)

for multi column forms.  In the case of multi column forms, it’s mostly
best practice to avoid their use. The main problem is that using multiple
columns within forms could cause the potential for users to interpret the
fields inconsistently.

least amount of confusion were strictly for name and address fields.

choices.  User must choose to fill out one or the other.  In this case,
when the forms fields are shown next to each other in a multi column
format, there is little confusion as long as the distinction of the two
form choices are clear.

any other scenarios that are acceptable?  Do you agree with the conclusion?