[Patternfly] NPM module CSS results in error

Rachel Yordan ryordan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 20:40:48 UTC 2016

Hello! We're using PatternFly for the front end of the iPaaS project (here
<https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio-ipaas>, but my dev branch is here
<https://github.com/kahboom/hawtio-ipaas/tree/dev-starter-merges>). Our
stack is Angular 2.0 and Webpack 2. I'm aware that Angular 2 is not yet
supported, as I opened an issue in the angular-patternfly repo here
<https://github.com/patternfly/angular-patternfly/issues/305>, but would
still like to use the regular PatternFly CSS. I’m getting an error when I
try to load the PF NPM module, see the Gist with the error here
<https://gist.github.com/kahboom/c2cf2adb5c82572f0196392cd2884cfc>.

It appears to be an issue with the CSS being imported, even if I try to
load just the CSS directly with require() when using node.js. Upon further
inspection, the normal CSS file looks like a LESS file with @ symbols, etc.

It also happens with the patternfly-additional.css file, both the full and
minified versions. I can probably just `require()` the LESS files directly,
but I would have to do that for all of them one by one and figure out which
I need, since I don’t see a file that imports them all.

We are trying to avoid using Bower completely. Worst case scenario I can
either require the LESS files manually, use a CDN hosted CSS, download a
copy of PF and host it locally (though versioning would drive me nuts), or
test angular-patternfly's CSS -- other than that, any suggestions? Thought
it might be good to report it in case it's an unknown issue. Thanks in
advance!

Kind regards,

Rachel Yordán
Senior Software Engineer