[Patternfly] Distributing `.less` dependency source files with patternfly

Brian Leathem bleathem at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 20:08:14 UTC 2017

Hello PatternFlyers,

A few releases back we stopped shipping 3rd party less files as part of our
patternfly distributable.  The reasoning behind this change was that users
looking to build the PatternFly CSS should just grab those source files
from the nested dependencies themselves.

This has worked well for the most part, but there are some cases where this
approach has introduced pain points:

1) Building the CSS requires configuring your build tool to match your
environment, and is different for npm and bower [1]

2) The path to the nested dependencies changes depending on which version
of npm you are using [2]

3) Consuming patternfly via web jars [3] leaves the versioned dependencies
unaccessible

To overcome these pain points, and provide an improved developer
experience, I propose we re-include the 3rd party less files in the
patternfly distributable.  I propose they be made available under that path:

/dist/less/dependencies/<dependency/<file.less>

Please share your thoughts here on the ML, or ping me in slack.  If I don't
hear any objections I'll draft a couple of stories and see if we can
include them in the current sprint.

Cheers,
Brian Leathem

[1] https://patternfly.atlassian.net/browse/PTNFLY-1935