[Patternfly] Form field relationships

Harald Pehl hpehl at redhat.com
Sun Jan 29 20:27:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a question / RFE for PatternFly forms. I'm the component lead
of HAL, the WildFly / JBoss EAP management console. We're currently
rewriting the console based on PatternFly [1].

In the console we have lots of forms to modify so called resources.
These resources represent settings on the server such as logging,
caching, etc. Each resource has attributes which are described by
metadata (data type, required, allowed values, description, ...).
Based on this metadata we automatically create forms to view, validate
modify the resources.

Some attributes have relationships to other attributes. Basically
there are two different kind oif relationships:

1. Requires: One attribute requires another one
2. Alternatives: Alternative attributes are mutually exclusive. Only
one attribute can be set.

[2] explains these relationships in more detail. I wonder how these
relationships can be visualised in forms. My guess is that I'm not the
only one and that there are other projects which have similar
requirements. I'm curious how others address these issues.

[1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next
[2] https://docs.google.com/a/redhat.com/document/d/1_2zxvZJnkQtmGUuiBzzFcN40edxot9okQTlJVehuKdI/edit?usp=sharing

--
Harald Pehl