[Patternfly] How to indicate Optional form fields?

Hey PatternFlyers!

We have a form that consists mostly of required fields, with a few optional fields.  It seems silly to mark all required fields with an asterisk (*) as it's 80%+ of the fields, but I can't figure out the correct style to get the behavior we want.

I was using <span class="text-muted">(Optional)</span> to indicate these fields, but the PatternFly Forms guidance recommends against it:

Required field: Required fields should be denoted with an * (asterisk) symbol.
Due to responsiveness issues, we do not recommend labeling optional fields with “(optional)”

See the Design tab of http://www.patternfly.org/pattern-library/forms-and-controls/forms/#/design (aside: why can't we link directly to the Design tab?)

I came across a blog, which recommends using something that looks somewhat like a placeholder: https://blog.patternfly.org/required-fields/ - Design A1, which is labelled as the Recommended way to do things. Does anyone know what CSS class I need for this? (the little "optional" text in the inputs there)

Currently we're using standard input placeholders, but I don't think this is the best use of them (they seem better used for syntax hints) - see the Middle Initial input:

​​
"Greeting" is also optional but I'm not sure the best way to indicate that?

--
Jonathan Yu / Software Engineer, OpenShift by Red Hat / 140-character rants 'n raves

“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett