Re: [PatternFly] Entering numeric data in forms

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Matt Carrano <mcarrano redhat com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been working over the past several weeks to improve the guidance we provide to designers in creating PatternFly compliant forms.  In this regard, I am interested in some input from the community about how you are currently implementing numeric input fields on forms.  By this I mean fields that are intended to take only a numeric value.

We have no specific guidance in PatternFly today, but there is a Bootstrap Touchspin widget in the library for this purpose [1].  I am curious if folks are using that widget and how it is being used.  In my own designs I've tended to prefer something more like this input-spinner [2] with the value right aligned to be adjacent to any units that follow the field.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and ideas about this and/or to share examples for forms you've designed and how you've dealt with this issue.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Wrt alignment - If the numbers are values that need to be compared or tallied, right alignment seems pretty useful. Though left alignment might be better in other cases, as described at: : http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/81865/why-arent-html5-typed-number-inputs-right-aligned-and-should-they-be

Liz C

Matt