Re: major badness with latest kernel update

Mike (mike redtux demon co uk) said:
> I just updated my phoebe system to the latest rawhide kernel (and sted
> deps including SysVinit) and kablooey
>
> 1. the kernel fails to boot, copmplaining about no /bin/insmod.old,
> copying this file from /sbin makes no difference

You installed module-init-tools for 2.5 kernels without patching
various things to use it the way it comes set up... that will cause
this.

> 2. my old kernel is  barely functioning as the kernel upgrade wipes out
> my modules directory (which was a custom one), so no net acces, sound
> etc

In general, you don't want to 'upgrade' the kernel, you just want
to 'install' a new one. (i.e., use 'rpm -i', not 'rpm -U'); this
allows the old kernel to still be there to boot from.

Bill