LVS backup router not taking role

Ranjith Rajaram rrajaram at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 13:59:55 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 07:22 PM, Khapare Joshi wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> first time poster. I recently deployed lvs (primary and backup) with
> piranh and ran into few issues. I turned off the primary lvs to see
> backup lvs will take over. However it does not take over right a way
> seem require restart pulse. How does this fail over works if primary
> goes down ? should not this be happen right a way if primary lvs goes
> down ?
If primary goes, secondary has to take it over

It depends on deadtime

  deadtime = n
               Length of time before a node is declared dead and IP
takeover occurs.

lvs.cf needs to be checked together with system configuration.  Look at
/var/log/messages

> And I have four real server- and it sees if one goes down whole system
> is unavailable (httpd service). Then I restart pulse and get  the
> httpd service. I do not think this is right. could be please guide me
> in right direction to make reliable.

Do you have separate boxes for LVS directors and real server's ? [Are
you running pulse on any of the two real server's ?]

check the output of ipvsadm -L -n from the active lvs server [paste it here]