[Pki-devel] Proposed RESTful interface to dogtag

Jack Magne jmagne at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 00:10:34 UTC 2011

On 10/17/2011 01:18 PM, Ade Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to put this on the dogtag wiki, but it did not seem to work.
> Will chat with Matt.
>
> In the meantime, here is a copy for you guys to look at and comment on.
> It has most everything except the installation servlets and token
> operations (for which I need to think about the object model).  If you
> look at the mapped servlets, you'll get a sense of what operations are
> covered in each URL mapping.
>
> This is a first cut -- hopefully a good starting point for discussion.
> So please comment away!
>
> Ade

Thanks Ade. Just a few questions after having a look.

1. I noticed we have the following key related resources:

PUT         /pki/key     "Add a key"

POST      /pki/key      "Modify a key"

In my quick readings, it appeared that the POST method was favored for
creating brand new resources where PUT was used to modify existing ones?

I also noticed that you have two GET versions of "pki/key". Is that kind
of duplication encouraged? Or is that really just the same api entity
with different input payloads?

2. You suggested I take a look at some of the TKS TokenServlet stuff. I
noticed that we have a simple short list of servlets that appear to
return very short lived resources. Examples being, session keys ,
encrypted data , and a block of randomly generated data.

I would imagine it would be a POST op like something as follows:

POST /pki/tks/sessionKey   , which would return a link to the key
itself? But does it make sense to have a "resource" for something so
short lived, or does this concept even belong in such a design?

3. I was just curious about the Java back-end for this design. Will we
be using the JAX-RS stuff that provides annotations in the java code in
order to hook all of this up?

thanks,
jack