[Pki-devel] osutil: some issues regarding copyright, code

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 15:56:19 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 02:16 AM, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> Anyone?
Hi Timo,

Sorry for the delay in getting a reply on this.

> 05.01.2012 15:22, Timo Aaltonen kirjoitti:
>>
>>     Hi!
>>
>>    I'm currently packaging Dogtag et al for Debian and Ubuntu, so I
>> filed
>> an intend-to-package bugreport on the Debian bugtracker about osutil. It
>> got reviewed, and here's a summary of the issues that were found:
>>
>> - src/com/netscape/osutil/unixdefs.h has a Netscape copyright, that
>> forbids distribution and copying. Is it merely a mistake?
Yes, this sounds like an oversight.  Please file a trac ticket to
resolve this issue in the
Dogtag trac instance at http://fedorahosted.org/pki

>> - "Signal.java has one architecture's signal numbers hardcoded in". Is
>> it still portable to more obscure architectures?
I'm not sure.  I guess it depends on the architectures you are referring
to.  If you have some
specific details on what needs to be changed, please let us know of
provide a patch.

>> - the java files have hardcoded library paths, which will break with
>> multiarch (http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch)
Patches welcome.  :)

>> - "full of error messages printed to stdout / stderr"
Could you elaborate on this?

>> - some of the functionality is apparently duplicated from (current)
>> standard java? (string to byte conversion was mentioned)
Parts of osutil are very likely implementing things that are now
standard in Java, but
were nto standard at the time.  We have been going through the Dogtag
code to refactor
this sort of thing recently, but I don't believe that we've looked as
osutil yet.  Please file a
trac ticket on this as well. Patches are also appreciated if you are
interested in helping out.

>> so it would be great to see at least the copyright issue sorted out,
>> soon, since it prevents inclusion.
Agreed.  Once the trac ticket is filed, we can get it targeted for the
next milestone.

Thanks
-NGK