[Pki-users] Modify Certificate Profies - removing 'Critical' key-usage indication

Ebbe Hansen ehansen at spyrus.com
Wed Apr 30 21:14:27 UTC 2008

While attempting to test various Email clients in a windows environment
(including Outlook Express and Outlook), I am having trouble getting the
Email client (Outlook Express) to accept the certificates generated by
the RedHat/DogTag CA. I am using the 'CAUserCert.cfg' profile and I am
adding a SubjectAltName extension as described in my earlier message.
However, I am still not successful getting the Email client to use the
DogTag user certificates for signature purposes.

Is there a documented procedure that describes how to generate user
certificates accepted by the windows-based Outlook Express client?

Comparing the RadHat user certificate with a Microsoft user certificate
reveals that the RedHat CA sets the 'KeyUsage' extension to 'Critical'
-- while the Microsoft CA does not! After modifying the DogTag CA
Profile ('CAUserCert.cfg') to specify a "non critical" 'KeyUsage'
extension, any new request using the modified profile fails -  error
message is:

"Sorry, your request has been rejected. The reason is "Request Rejected
- Criticality Not Matched".

Are there multiple places I need to adjust the Profile -- so far I have
only modified the 'CAUserCert.cfg' file in the
'<CA-instance>/profiles/ca' directory.

Ebbe @ SPYRUS

"This message and any attached documents contain SPYRUS confidential
and/or proprietary information and may be subject to privilege or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. These materials are intended only
for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient of this electronic message, you are hereby notified that any
use of this message is strictly prohibited. Delivery of this message to
any person other than the intended recipient shall not constitute any
waiver of any privilege. If you have received this message in error,
please delete this message from your system and notify the sender
immediately. Thank you."