[Pki-users] will the new version of RHCS support RHEL6?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Oct 7 13:30:46 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 05:19 AM, Oleg Antonenko wrote:

> Hi Nathan, Dmitri,
>
> Thanks for the info and your comments. Please see my answers inline in
> red…

I would leave this to Nathan to confirm.

>         API for issuing and revoking certs (cert-based request auth is
>         preferrable) -- as we want to integrate out product for
>         revoking certs
>

>         The product can be given a keytab and authenticate kerberos to
>         the IPA. It is very simple and would be easier to accomplish.
>         API for managing serts for hosts and services already
>         available in IPA so the question is what the certs are
>         associated with is very important.
>         Also certmonger can be used for fetching certs and storing
>         them in the files or DBs you need.
>         Are you aware of certmonger?
>
>         [OA] No, did not hear before. As I understand it has a command
>         line / d-bus interfaces? We need something like a WS or REST.

The point is that you can create a simple WS or REST server around it
very easily.

>         It can be effectively a whole alternative solution. From your
>         portal you call Certmonger on the local system via CLI or
>         D-BUS interface and it gets a cert for you.
>         But I need to understand the workflow better. If you generate
>         he PKI pair on you portal and deliver them to a device it is a
>         perfect solution. If you use client side software on the
>         mobile platform to send the signing request then it is a
>         different workflow and you need to send such request to
>         CA.[OA] Yes, the latter…

I see.

>         Desirable - Export a key store (including cert) as PKCS#12,
>         PEM (for manual deployment of certs on e.g. SSL servers).
>

>         When and where? During issuance or ability to later export it
>         from the back end store?
>
>         [OA] For SSL serves terminating VPN connection from mobile
>         devices. So we would create them before and parallel to
>         issuing to devices… I think it’s going to be like an admin
>         would login into the UI, enter machine details for the cert &
>         key store. In response the CA would generate a keypair and
>         issue a cert. Then we would need to export the keystore either
>         as p12 or PEM file…

You might want to consider using IPA to mange servers and their certs.
AFAIR IPA allows you to save certs in a PEM file.
Then for the devices you will use Dogtag directly but for servers you
will leverage all the advantages of IPA. Seems like a double win.

>         As mentioned earlier we are planning to use a CA for issuing
>         and delivering certs to mobile devices via SCEP.
>

>         I am sorry I am not familiar with the details of the workflow
>         in this case.
>         Can you describe the chain of communication between mobile
>         device, your portal and CA and what protocols used where?
>
>     iOS devices uses SCEP to enroll for certificates. The basic flow
>     is that you have a "Profile Server", which is responsible for
>     delivering a XML profile onto the authenticated iOS device. This
>     XML profile contains details on how the iOS device should contact
>     the CA via SCEP. When the profile is installed, the SCEP request
>     is made and the returned certificate is installed. There is a good
>     visual workflow of this process in this document:
>
>     https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/networkinginternet/conceptual/iphoneotaconfiguration/OTASecurity/OTASecurity.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009505-CH3-SW1
>

>     This is very helpful.
>     So it seems that IPA CA might be used for this as is. The certs
>     would just not be associeted with any specific entry and leave in
>     the CA storage.
>     Do I get it right?
>
> I think so.[OA] Yes, correct. Btw, what storage the CA is using? Ldap?

Yes.

> The trick might be to add additional profile to IPA CA after IPA
> installation and use that profile instead of the default one in SCEP
> requests.
>
> Yes, getting the profile set up would be then main thing to tackle.
>
> [OA] Could you give me a bit more insight what is advantage/why to use
> an additional SCEP profile?

Cert profile is a template for issuing certs.
Dogtag allows you to have more than a single template.
This makes possible to issue certs containing different contents and
used for different purposes: VPN, authentication, message signing etc.
IPA installs just one profile. I suspect that mobile devices would need
to have certs with specific attributes in them. For that you would need
to either modify the existing profile or add another one. Latest
versions of Dogtag CA have REST API to manage these profiles
programmatically but this capability is not integrated into IPA yet. So
with existing IPA version you would need to either modify existing
profile or add a new one manually. If you start with latest Dogtag and
version in Fedora 19 that will be a part of RHEL7 you can probably use
REST API directly and add/modify profiles as you need. In future IPA
will provide API/CLI/UI that would wrap this REST API and allow you to
mange this consistently with the rest of the IPA objects.

> Since with Dogtag 10 you have REST API and CLI to add and manage those
> profiles and the data is sort of orthogonal to IPA data I do not see a
> reason why portal can't integrate those and use them directly.
>
> To clarify, profile management REST interfaces are in Dogag 10.1 (not
> 10.0). Regardless, profiles can be configured without the REST
> interfaces and be used directly with IPA being none the wiser.
> [OA] We would configure the CA manually. API is needed for cert
> revocation only. Does dogtag 9 supports REST for revocation?

Dogtag 9 does not support any REST API.

> -NGK
>

> So far we managed to issue certs for iphones via SCEP in ejbCA and
> Dogtag (pki-ca 9.0.3-30 package).
>
> Dogtag wins provided we can carry on using standalone CA services in
> the future for free as a part of RHEL IPA…
>

> Yes this is a clear winner keeping in mind that we had some distant
> plans about the use case you are describing. Unfortunately we were not
> able to get a good understanding of the details of the use case in the
> past thus so many questions. Sorry.
> [OA] That’s cool, it seems you’ve got it right…

We would like to help you as much as possible with what we have now and
give you a clear migration path for the solutions we are building. This
is why Dogtag 10+ and IPA 3.2+ is probably the best starting point.