[Pki-users] CA Administrator of Instance pki-ca

Richard Thomas Richard.Thomas at the-logic-group.com
Tue Oct 29 14:48:32 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that, it's been a while before I've been able to try the steps in https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Certificate_System/8.1/html/Admin_Guide/renewing-subsystem-certificates.html#renewing-certificates-using-certutil

Below are the results of those steps.

Step 3 resulted in:

#certutil -K -d .
certutil: Checking token "NSS Certificate DB" in slot "NSS User Private Key and Certificate Services"
Enter Password or Pin for "NSS Certificate DB":
< 0> rsa      422b5af15b44ea69130671f9eea3c047c0ad0080   (orphan)
< 1> rsa      7ee73faba7c4f1a027f5b309d9175089a8a6f084   Server-Cert cert-pki-ca
< 2> rsa      7bfe57e8f1adbe5d00f945be6cb167ce905dac3f   ocspSigningCert cert-pki-ca
< 3> rsa      78b0a760918b4a9ec312cc75408a23e551dbd615   caSigningCert cert-pki-ca
< 4> rsa      99c4c03f6dd0bd4c90933b62c4b023d942f79d9e   subsystemCert cert-pki-ca
< 5> rsa      9b839620f5d6802fb4c938fe6f06bcc9a1de8a85   auditSigningCert cert-pki-ca

Step 4 resulted in:
#cp -r /var/lib/pki-ca/alias /tmp/alias/
#cd /tmp/alias/
#certutil -D -n "Server-Cert cert-pki-ca"  -d .
#certutil -D -n "ocspSigningCert cert-pki-ca"  -d .
#certutil -D -n "caSigningCert cert-pki-ca"  -d .
#certutil -D -n "subsystemCert cert-pki-ca"  -d .
#certutil -D -n "auditSigningCert cert-pki-ca"  -d .

Step 5 resulted in:
#certutil -d . -R -k "NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca" -s "<snip>" -a -o <snip>.req2.txt
certutil: NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca is neither a key-type nor a nickname: security library: bad database.
#certutil -d . -R -k "NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca" -s "CN=OCSP Signing Certificate,<snip>" -a -o OCSP.req2.txt
certutil: NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca is neither a key-type nor a nickname: security library: bad database.
#certutil -d . -R -k "NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca" -s "CN=<snip>" -a -o <snip>.req2.txt
certutil: NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca is neither a key-type nor a nickname: security library: bad database.
#certutil -d . -R -k "NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca" -s "CN=CA Subsystem Certificate,<snip>" -a -o CASub.req2.txt
certutil: NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca is neither a key-type nor a nickname: security library: bad database.
#certutil -d . -R -k "NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca" -s "CN=CA Audit Signing Certificate,<snip>" -a -o CAAudit.req2.txt
certutil: NSS Certificate DB:cert-pki-ca is neither a key-type nor a nickname: security library: bad database.
#

I also tried the blow for the key-type or nickname and got the equivalent results:
#certutil -d . -R -k "caSigningCert cert-pki-ca" ...etc
#certutil -d . -R -k "ocspSigningCert cert-pki-ca" ...etc
#certutil -d . -R -k "Server-Cert cert-pki-ca" ...etc
#certutil -d . -R -k "subsystemCert cert-pki-ca" ...etc
#certutil -d . -R -k "auditSigningCert cert-pki-ca" ...etc

Please could you help me with these errors.

Thank you.

Richard Thomas
Senior Network Engineer

direct +44 (0)1252 644 265