[Pki-users] How to renew the admin certificate

Ha T. Lam hatlam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 00:18:59 UTC 2016

Yes, I think the uid is caadmin too. I didn't do the installation, but I
inherit the config file used during installation, whic​h lists among other
things, the values of pki_admin_uid, pki_admin_password,
and pki_client_pkcs12_password.

After digging around some more, I found this page about how to setup a new
CA admin:

http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/CA_Admin_Setup

But when I execute the following command (replacing CA Admin password and
nickname appropriately from the values in config file):

pki -c <CA admin password> -n <CA admin nickname> ca-user-add newcaadmin
--fullName "CA Admin"

I got: ResteasyIOException: IOException

I think it is because the default CA Admin certificate was not installed
into a database. I tried to do that following:

http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Default_CA_Admin

but at the following command (replacing Secret123 with our secret)

pki -c Secret123 client-cert-import --pkcs12
~/.dogtag/pki-tomcat/ca_admin_cert.p12 --pkcs12-password
~/.dogtag/pki-tomcat/ca/pkcs12_password.conf

I got:

Error: Unrecognized option: --pkcs12
usage: client-cert-import [OPTIONS]
    --ca-cert <path>   Import CA certificate file
    --ca-server        Import CA certificate from CA server
    --cert <path>      Import certificate file

I switched to

pki -c Secret123 -n caadmin client-cert-import --cert
~/.dogtag/pki-tomcat/ca_admin_cert.p12

to get "Import failed"

I seem to get stuck at installing either the old cert or the new one. Do
you know what the commands are to install cert?