bandwidth question

Dear All,

we have a Linux server with 2 ethernet card, one for the intranet and one
for the internet with ADSL. The server has two functions, e-mail (sendmail)
and internet gateway (masquerade).
I'd like to set a fix maximum bandwidth for the mails in the following way:
If there are no mails coming in, the users could brows in full bandwith, and
when the mails arrive, there is a fix maximum bandwidth for the mail
traffic, what I had set before.

Where can I find documentation about this problem?

Thank you
Gábor