[publican-list] Advice please

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 02:31:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 08:42 +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:
> Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> >
> > The balance here is if you want to let those lines be broken.  It would
> > be nice to auto-insert a '\' character when certain commands are broken
> > into multiple lines.  Then you can set a column width minimum and
> > maximum.
>
> That would require him to stop using a seglist and directly use tables, which is a
> fair bit of effort.

I was thinking of it as seglist and doing the fixed width in the CSS.
Since it is output to a table in HTML and FO, I was hoping we'd have a
chance to insert something.  It would require an ID tag of some kind for
the styling to pick up.  Right there is where my knowledge ends and you
understand better. :)

> Since command is often used inline it would create interesting output
> in some cases.
>
> Auto hyphenation of verbatim text in FOP is a dark art, most likely
> resulting in
> text that looks fine in HTML but breaks the PDF layout :(
>
> Auto Hyphenation of Latin text in non-Latin languages can cause
> absolutely weird
> output :(

I see what you mean.

It might be that Mike needs to move to a different construct, or use a
different tabling style.  The goal is for visual parsing by humans,
right?  That is, you aren't trying to use a table in the database sense,
correct?

I'm thinking of stuff such as column and row spanning.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Community Gardener
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org