[publican-list] had to set heap size in /etc/java/java.conf

Darrin Mison dmison at redhat.com
Wed Aug 26 08:18:47 UTC 2009

Running publican 0.45 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 guest, FOP was
running out of heap space & crashing while building some books with
lots of image scaling.

I'd tried to increase the heap size by setting the it in both the
FOP_OPTS and JAVA_OPTS environment variables in my .bashrc to no
avail.  Also tried adding it to /etc/fop.conf & ~/.foprc

Eventually I got it to work by adding to the command options in /etc/
java/java.conf :

# Options to pass to the java interpreter
JAVACMD_OPTS=-Xmx4000m

But this isn't really ideal.

I thought this was a bit strange, setting FOP_OPTS should have been
the correct thing to do.

--
Darrin Mison
Engineering Content Services