[publican-list] Publican SRPMs in Fedora

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Tue Dec 1 00:27:15 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 07:20 PM, Manuel Ospina wrote:
> Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
>> Eric Christensen wrote:
>>> Just wanted to point out that the current Publican build, 1.x, is
>>> creating SRPMs and spec files that are inline with the Fedora's
>>> packaging policy (using the --short_sighted mode).  I submitted[1] a
>>> package for the Fedora Accessibility Guide for review and it passed
>>> without batting an eye.  This should be helpful for other guides as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I'm still pondering the best way to handle the different languages,
>>> though.
>>
>> I will remind everyone that the reason we do the languages separately
>> is that it proved impossible to keep a sane translation work flow with
>> a single SRPM. This isn't a guess, we expended significant energy
>> trying to make it work pre-RHEL5 and it proved unworkable for
>> non-trivial content.
>>
>> Unless someone has a cogent approach to solving this then you are
>> better off sucking it up and using separate SRPMs.
>>
>> If someone does have a cogent approach I am more than willing to help
>> implement it.
>>
>> If you are a translator and care about the effects of this kind of
>> approach then now is the time to speak up. I mean really, if you don't
>> care enough to speak about it then maybe I am misremembering how bad
>> it was.
>>
>> Cheers, Jeff.
>>
> Totally agree. Using separate SRPMs is important to keep a
> maintainable/scalable localization work-flow.
>
> Cheers

That makes sense if you don't have a single maintainer of the SRPMS.
For the Fedora guides and articles (like the Release Notes) there is a
single maintainer of the SRPM.  So as translations are completed for the
Release Notes the maintainer adds them to the SPRM and does the update
in the packaging system.

This has the benefit of including a single package in the release that
Yelp will automagically select the proper language for the user.  This
is quite important as so the end user won't have to do anything but
select the document they are wanting to read.  No fuss.

- --Eric