[publican-list] Publican SRPMs in Fedora

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 01:27:43 UTC 2009

Eric Christensen wrote:

> I'm interested to hear your solution.  I need to be able to have a user
> that installs Fedora to NOT have to choose the language for each
> document that they use (since they already selected the language during
> install).

I've repeatedly stated the approach that you want has been tested and
fails, and that I'm happy to listen to any ideas on how to fix that
approach, clearly if I had a fix I'd impliment it.

> I'm not asking you to change the way you do business in RHEL.  I'm
> simply asking for the freedom to let me do business the way we know it
> works in Fedora.

You are free to automate anything you want, whether or not I chose to
automate it for you has nothing to do with your freedom and everything
to do with mine.

We tested that idea, it fails, I don't want to ship software I know
fails, complaining I'm restricting your freedom by excessing good over
site does not seem cogent.

You can use publican inside any spec file, so lack of automation in
publican is not locking you in to anything and is in no way preventing
you from exercising your freedom and using the content however you want.

There is a good example of using publican inside a non-publican
generated spec file in publican's own spec file. I'm happy to look at
any use of publican in spec files and give feedback on how to improve it.

 > I'm open to new ideas, though, so if you have a way to
 > make it as easy on the end user I'm all ears.

If you have a way to make a system that failed real world testing work,
I am all ears.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>