[publican-list] Formatting Articles, a discussion of BZ #494147

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 04:29:10 UTC 2009

Paul Morgan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 04:06:27PM +1000, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
>>> Article has an attribute, class, which can contain the following values:
>>>
>>> * NULL
>>> * faq
>>> * journalarticle
>>> * productsheet
>>> * specification
>>> * techreport
>>> * whitepaper
>>>
>>> Now these things may be worth styling differently, perhaps much
>>> differently, than a book.
>>>
>> I agree; this has useful possibilities, because, like you say,
>> some of these (say, FAQ) might have practically no resemblance to
>> a book at all...
>>
>>> Maybe journalarticle should be dual column?
>> And maybe somehow inherit the "parentbook" attribute if it's being
>> built as part of a <book> and display this somewhere on the page?
>
> this would be useful.
>

>>> Perhaps a whitepaper should have extra wide margins for people
>>> to scribble in?
>
> I'm not sure what the difference would be between whitepaper
> and techreport, but I could see a definite benefit to formatting
> one of the classes as a slide deck, optionally (based on Makefile
> parameter) with a notes section.
>
> For example, with notes the format would be portrait. Top half is
> slide, bottom half is notes. If Makefile "notes=0", the layout would
> be landscape and no notes section.

There is a dedicated DTD for this
http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/SlidesDoctype I've not used it myself, but
it's probably a better fit than trying to shoe horn it in to the article
stuff.

Then again I'm a compulsive shoe horner, as it were, so it wouldn't be
out of character :D

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>