[publican-list] Formatting Articles, a discussion of BZ #494147

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 23:36:33 UTC 2009

On 12/04/2009 08:11 AM, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> I'd drop the revision history, shorten the legal notice, and move the
> copyright and legal link to the top. I'd also just use the license
> acronym as a link to the upstream text.
>
> e.g.
>
> Copyright © 2009 Red Hat, Inc. and others. CC-BY-SA
>

> Where CC-BY-SA is a link to
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

OK -- I've streamlined the author and copyright/licensing information
even further, per your suggestions.

However, I did still keep a last (further reduced) vestige of the
Revision History at the foot of the document; I think that for technical
writing, it's important to identify this revision somehow so that when
an article ends up republished in a number of places, people can readily
identify which version is the more recent.  Actually -- discussions of
article formatting aside, I think that including the version number in
the header could be a useful addition to Publican's HTML output... but
that's probably another post :)

Also -- would it be possible to allow the abstract to be switched on and
off? An abstract is a normal feature in a tech report or journal
article, but not so well suited to a how-to (like this example) or, say,
a product sheet.

Cheers

Rudi