[publican-list] Re: <section status="draft"> ignored

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 22:04:19 UTC 2009

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 02:15:51PM +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:
>
>> When you remove draft from the root node, you are saying the book, in
>> it's entirety, is complete. You can not have incomplete bits in a
>> complete book, therefore marking only bits of a book as draft is a mixed
>> metaphor and is wrong.
>
> This is open content, where we want to release early and often.  We
> don't try to release 100% bug free software, either.  It should be
> possible to add beta/draft content to a document and mark it as such.

Firstly, documentation isn't software and you can't treat them the same way; but
even if you were going to do that, this statement is wrong.

You don't mark 2 or 3 functions in your software as beta, you mark the whole thing
as beta. Likewise you don't mark 2 or 3 blocks of text as draft, you mark the
whole thing draft.

You can use remark tags for a more localised way of marking a block to be
reviewed. The remarks have confronting colours and will stand out from surrounding
text. Furthermore if you put the remark in the title of a block that appears in
the TOC then the remark gets placed, in the confronting colour, in the TOC, so
people can see in the TOC where to go to review.

I don't think we should break what appears to be the publishing industry use of
draft when the remark tag should be sufficient for this use case.

Cheers, Jeff.