[publican-list] xi:include over https

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 22:52:19 UTC 2010

  G'day,

I've managed to do xi:include via http, ala the following:

<xi:include href="http://127.0.0.1/Task.xml"
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" />

This builds fine with Publican.

However, when I try to do the same thing via https, ala the following:

<xi:include
href="https://svn.server.com/TopicRepository/Concepts/Task.xml"
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" />

I get the following output from publican:

FATAL ERROR: XInclude:1604 in DITA_Topics_in_Docbook.xml on line 9:
could not load https://svn.server.com/TopicRepository/Concepts/Task.xml,
and no fallback was found
  at /usr/bin/publican line 622

A possibly relevant issue is that the svn server uses a self-signed
certificate. After much wrangling, I installed that certificate in the
openssl framework on my machine, and I can now download the Task.xml
file using wget with no security warning, so it's not the self-signed
certificate (if libxml is using openssl).

Is there any way I can get more detailed error message reporting from
the libXML Perl module in publican to help figure out where the
roadblock is? I tried looking through the libxml source code, but I
can't get my head around the c.

Alternatively, has anyone else tried this?

- Josh