Re: [publican-list] RFC: Make -langs=en-US the default language for command line args

On 06/03/2010 10:21 AM, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
On 06/03/2010 08:52 AM, Jared Morgan wrote:
We removed this because we got disgusted with the complete inability of
writers to give any consideration or concern for translation. When
writers start displaying the ability to think of other people we will
add this back in.
So, in summary, users should continue to use aliases for common publican publishing tasks. Not a problem. Thanks Jeff.

The problem here is that "common publishing tasks" differ really significantly between somebody writing their XML in English, somebody writing their XML in French, and somebody translating any language to any other language. Publican has a diverse user base, and it's becoming more diverse all the time. I guess the reason why I'm uncomfortable with this suggestion is that it privileges one group of users over every other group.

Furthermore, speaking only for myself, since I currently publish a large number of docs in a large number of different languages, I actually like the safety-net of when Publican tells me "you didn't say which language you wanted, dufus". If Publican silently defaulted to building (or worse, publishing!) the English version of a document every time I forgot or mistyped the option, I would have made a non-trivial number of non-trivial stuff-ups by now :)

However, for anyone who is typically only ever building and publishing in one language and wants to save themselves some keystrokes, aliasing some commands is a neat solution.

Cheers
Rudi

I think this is an argument in favour of user configurable publican.defaults. That way everyone can set it up the way they want.