[publican-list] RFC: Supporting RevisionFlag attribute

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Wed May 5 00:47:01 UTC 2010

Currently RevisionFlag isn't used by Publican, I think it can be used to
  aid reviewing documentation.

http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ref-elements.html#common.attributes

The idea being that when an author modifies a book, they set the
RevisionFlag and if the book is in draft mode then Publican would
highlight that tag.

e.g.

RevisionFlag="Changed" might have a yellow background.
RevisionFlag="Added" might have a green background.
RevisionFlag="Deleted" might have strike through applied.

This way reviewers would get visual queues about what has happened at
the tag level.

It probably makes sense to only use this at the block level, para etc,
but I don't see any reason to enforce that usage.

When the book is ready for release, the tags marked as Deleted would
need to be deleted by the author, and the remaining RevisionFlag
attributes would need to be set to Off, or deleted.

To aid usability we could be new action to delete all RevisionFlag
attributes.

e.g. $ publican clear_rev_flags

Discuss!

Cheers, Jeff.