[publican-list] Feedback from internal Publican User

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Wed May 19 23:10:41 UTC 2010

Jared Morgan wrote:
> I've been communicating with Jonathan Haliday about some problems he's
> been having with working out how to obtain jboss and rh brands.  He went
> to the trouble of checking out the source and copying front matter files
> where they needed to go.  He was quite frustrated that he had to do
> this, and that there were no instructions about how to obtain the
> internal brands.

This, along with other issues fedora users will experience trying to use
internal systems, has been documented internally for sometime on your
ECS wiki:
https://engineering.redhat.com/trac/ContentServices/wiki/LifeHacks#Brandissues

> He has a valid point.  Publican is being used wider than ECS now, and we
> need to cater for that.
 >
> I wonder if we could include something in the PUG for RH employees:

The PUG is for public consumption and shouldn't contain Red Hat specific
content. We are actively removing or generalizing such content.

>     * How to download brands, and the location of brew.  If an external
>       publican user tries to get the files, they will be out of luck
>       because brew is internal, right?.

The real solution is for ECS to get these brands accepted in to fedora.
The legal issues that prevented them being accepted previously have been
overcome by the license change.

'4.4. Packaging a brand' could be expanded with generic examples of how
to build and install a brand locally:

RPM example:

$ cd <path to brand>
$ publican package --binary
$ sudo rpm -Uvh tmp/rpm/noarch/*.rpm

Direct Install example:

$ cd <path to brand>
$ publican build --formats=xml --langs=all --publish
$ sudo publican installbrand --path=/usr/share/publican/Common_Content/

>     * The publican-list email address could also be mentioned in the
>       guide.  Perhaps not a full email (to prevent bots harvesting the
>       address), but a mention that you should join the list using the RH
>       mailman system.

This could be added to the 'We Need Feedback!' section.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer