[publican-list] how does one request that ubuntu update its publican package?

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Fri May 21 09:54:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   fair enough, but should i submit a bug report for what seems to be a
> (minor) bug in the ubuntu packaging?  running "publican --help"
> clearly suggests that "publican --man" is a valid invocation, but if
> you run that latter command, what you get is (weirdly) a listing of
> the /usr/bin/publican script, followed by:
>
>   You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.
>
> installing perl-doc fixes the issue, so shouldn't the ubuntu publican
> package have perl-doc as a required dependency?  (sorry, i realize
> that this is more a ubuntu issue than a publican issue.)

One might wonder why publican calls perldoc instead of just running "man
publican".

Adding perl-doc as dependency seems like overkill given that publican
--man is not really a critical feature. I might add it to Suggests but
then it makes no difference as far as APT is concerned.

BTW, both Debian and Ubuntu have bugtrackers for the packaging problems.
Please use those for such problems.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog