[publican-list] how does one request that ubuntu update its publican package?

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Sat May 22 02:58:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 11:54 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   fair enough, but should i submit a bug report for what seems to be a
> > (minor) bug in the ubuntu packaging?  running "publican --help"
> > clearly suggests that "publican --man" is a valid invocation, but if
> > you run that latter command, what you get is (weirdly) a listing of
> > the /usr/bin/publican script, followed by:
> >
> >   You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.
> >
> > installing perl-doc fixes the issue, so shouldn't the ubuntu publican
> > package have perl-doc as a required dependency?  (sorry, i realize
> > that this is more a ubuntu issue than a publican issue.)
>
> One might wonder why publican calls perldoc instead of just running "man
> publican".

Publican uses the Pod::Usage module for this, which is the "correct way"
AIUI for cross platform support.

> Adding perl-doc as dependency seems like overkill given that publican
> --man is not really a critical feature. I might add it to Suggests but
> then it makes no difference as far as APT is concerned.

It sounds like the Pod::Usage module has a deps issue, this is the line
that will be causing this issue:

pod2usage( -verbose => 2, -exit => 0 ) if $man;

> BTW, both Debian and Ubuntu have bugtrackers for the packaging problems.
> Please use those for such problems.

:)

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer

Sure our competitors can rebuild the source but can they engage the customer the same way? -wmealing