[publican-list] Publican 1.99: Another DB change & XML Sitemaps

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Fri May 28 06:43:36 UTC 2010

Hi, if you are following the 1.99 trunk you will need to update your
DB's again.

ALTER TABLE main.books ADD COLUMN update_date text(10);

update_date is used in creating the new XML Sitemap,
http://www.sitemaps.org/faq.php, these are used by the major search
engines to aid keeping site searches up to date.

Basically you tell the search engines where your Sitemap file is and it
will use the dates in that file to see what has changed without crawling
your entire site.

You can validate the Sitemap like so:

$ xmllint --schema
http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9/sitemap.xsd --noout
public_html/Sitemap

public_html/Sitemap validates

For HTML it only specifies index.html, since, AIUI, this will kick off a
spider of that page and what it links to ... we will have to wait and
see if this is what is required. It also lists PDF and EPUB files.

Also, amongst other bug fixes, I made it so installing a book that is
already installed updates the database instead of burping an error.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer