[publican-list] is publican-1.99 available to play with under ubuntu?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri May 28 08:16:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, 28 May 2010, Bram Vogelaar wrote:

> i havent found any .debs yet but if you managed to install the 1.6.3
> version (and xml- and html- treebuilder .debs) from the debian
> repository its a breeze to install from svn trunk.
>
> cd /path/to/svn/checkouts
> svn co http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/publican
> cd publican/trunk/publican
> perl Build.Pl
> install missing dependecies (6 -ish ) via your favorite package manager. (synaptic package manager => search for perl and then select correct ones)
> ./Build
> ./Build test
> sudo ./Build install
>
> and then "Hup Hup Hup, Barbatruc" your done
>
> have fun with it, the new website feature is awesome

  taking a stab at installing 1.99 on my ubuntu 10.04 box, the
following *seems* to have done it but i'm willing to be corrected --
i'm still new at ubuntu.

  i grabbed the two noarch rpms from here:

http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/publican/

used "alien" to simple-mindedly convert them to .deb files, installed
them and a few tests of running "publican --help" convinced me to:

1) export PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0

and

2) install the ubuntu packages

  * libarchive_zip_perl
  * libdbi_perl
  * libtemplate_perl

at which point i can at least run "publican --help" and have it work.
beyond that, i haven't done any testing so i have no idea what else
will fail as i look for the docs that explain how to use this newer
version.  (are there docs somewhere?)

  the only thing i skipped was the scriptlets that come with the rpm
packages but there's only one for the website package:

postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/usr/bin/perl -e 'use Publican::WebSite; my $ws = Publican::WebSite->new(); $ws->regen_all_toc();'

  since website is new to me, i have no idea what that's doing but i'm
guessing i can always run it manually whenever i want before i start
doing anything website-related, correct?

  in any event, the above simple steps were enough to at least get me
to a running publican 1.99 executable on ubuntu 10.04.  i am now ready
to be chastised for what i did wrong. :-)

rday