[publican-list] RFE for Publican Brands

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 06:51:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 02:32 -0400, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:
> I did not mean to imply that the discussion had fallen into a black hole. I was only trying to elicit more feedback, since emails do tend to fall to the bottom of people's inboxes. I apologize for that remark.

I took it you were being proactive about something you cared about, not
sure how anyone could take offence at it.

It's raised some interesting points besides just brands though.
Particularly how we go about letting new people in given the expanding
community. It's easy to get a gauge on someone when there are only a few
people in a community, when you start to get more people, informal ways
can get pretty inefficient pretty quickly ... particularly when you only
really have one "community" person.

I'm sure we wouldn't have scaled to the current community size without
Rudi beavering away, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to scale much
further in it's current form, so we really need to start looking in to
how we can make it easier for new contributors to get active and get
some feedback on their input.

What I like about a LnL for brands is instead of someone making a
mock-up of the change they want, they can apply the change to a new
brand and use that to build an existing document. You get a complete
view of the change in situ, which is always going to give you a much
better appreciation of the change, and is in fact a lot easier to do
once you grok how to modify brands.

So once we have documentation showing people how to make those kind of
changes out side the current brands, it's then easy to create a more
formal process for how to present changes for consideration.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer

Sure our competitors can rebuild the source but can they engage the customer the same way? -wmealing