[publican-list] RFC: Modified JBoss brand (was Re: RFE for Publican Brands)

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 06:41:42 UTC 2010

misty at redhat.com wrote:
> I've modified the JBoss brand and attached the modified version. I'd love it if some of you could build books using it and let me know what you think.

Verbatim style: Like!

Admonition Style: The borders aren't useful in differentiating the
content. I think they could look better without them ... maybe new icons
would help there?

Example Style: The colored border just looks wrong, this one has always
been the worst looking IMHO and the extra border was probably what was
wrong with it. I think the title at the top is demarcation enough.

Figure Style: The title looks wrong at the top.

> Extract it to /usr/share/publican/Common_Content and call it from publican.cfg as JBoss-misty.

We never tell people to manually copy files in to system areas, we have
processes to install them properly so their systems don't become hard to
upgrade, or recover, or report many errors when they validate their
system ... also there are many, many, many people who will harass you
endlessly about it :/

This is the correct process for duplicating a brand ... maybe the first
of our "how to do stuff and look cool doing it" articles!

# rename the directory when exporting
$ svn export
http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/publican/trunk/publican-jboss
publican-jboss-misty

$ cd publican-jboss-misty/

$ mv publican-jboss.spec publican-jboss-misty.spec

$ sed -i -e's/publican-jboss/publican-jboss-misty/g'
publican-jboss-misty.spec

$ sed -i -e's/JBoss/JBoss-Misty/g' publican-jboss-misty.spec

$ sed -i -e's/JBoss/JBoss-Misty/g' publican.cfg

$ publican package --binary

$ sudo rpm -Uvh tmp/rpm/noarch/publican-jboss-misty-2.2-0.el5.noarch.rpm

# make changes to required css, xsl, etc files

# update publican.cfg and spec file, and repackage

Is the last step documented sufficiently in the PUG?

> Just as the JBoss brand currently, the HTML versions do not currently sync with the PDF version. I didn't put too much effort into it (yet), because it obviously has not been a priority thus far. I'd like to get the changes synchronized to PDF, because I think they really help with printing.

There was never any intention for the HTML and PDF to be exactly the
same. One is for printing and one is for on screen reading, and
apparently that requires different layout and colors and whatnot. But
since Andy left we haven't had anyone active who really knew the
subtleties in differentiating them.

> I've also included a .zip of a built book in HTML-single, so that you can see it in action without having to build your own book.
>
> If you get the Digest version of this mailing list and want to see the attachments, just ping me and I will send them to you individually.

You can put the zips on the publican wiki if you want, you just need to
login with your FAS details. The wiki is pretty open and anyone with a
FAS account can edit it.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>