[publican-list] I'm quite lost...

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at redhat.com
Tue Aug 2 22:01:14 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

First of all, thank you for volunteering!

Second, here are some good resources to get you started with Publican and Docbook:

Publican User Guide - http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/pug/ - This will guide you through installing Publican on your computer and starting to write Docbook. It includes some basic information about syntax, to get you started.

Docbook reference - http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ref-elements.html - I have linked you directly to the list of Docbook elements. You can click each element and see examples and usage guidelines. You can back out to read the entire book if you like, but you don't really need to read it to get started.

One of the first decisions to make is which editor to use. Since Docbook uses structured XML, you can use any text editor. Some of them offer extra features to make things go faster. I use Emacs to edit Docbook, but I am in the extreme minority. Most of my colleagues seem to use GEdit, kwrite, Kate, Jedit, or Geany. There are also some open source GUI editors, such as Serna (http://www.syntext.com/products/serna-free/), if that is your kind of thing.

This is definitely the right place to ask, so if you have more questions, please ask away!

Thanks,
Misty