[publican-list] Possible alternative to FOP!

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Fri Aug 12 01:11:50 UTC 2011

Hi everybody, as you all no doubt know we have been searching for an
alternative to FOP for some time. FOP has proven very expensive to
support and package, and has basically been a thorn in our side for ages :(

Enter http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/ a new approach to HTML->PDF
conversion. Now I've been rather negative about this approach since
quite  frankly the output of existing tools is poor, but this tool takes
the output to a new level!

I urge you to take a look at the test PDF [1] I generated for the
Publican Users' Guide before you write off this approach.

After a few tweaks to the HTML-Single style-sheet the out put is on-par
with FOP. Clearly there are limitations to what this can do, but the
benefits of this over FOP are significant, and I think overall we'd get
a lot more return for our effort in fixing layout issues with this tool
than continuing smashing our faces against the impenetrable mountain of
pain of FOP.

Initail thoughts wkhtmltopdf Vs FOP:

Cons:

Foot notes become end notes