[publican-list] [Fwd: Re: r1722 - in trunk/publican-fedora: . .tx]

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 02:32:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 20:33 -0500, Jared Smith wrote:
> > I'm double hesitant when the whole migration process was done
> > without public consultation with the projects themselves.
>
> There was plenty of public consultation with the Fedora teams (L10N,
> Docs, FESCo, Infra, Board).  Like I said above, I'm sorry that I
> wasn't able to consult with every single project that uses Fedora
> infrastructure.  The time constraints (considering that we were
> already at the string freeze, and any delay would have cut

You aren't entitled in anyway to make such decisions for non fedora
projects, even if they are using some Fedora infrastructure.

> > At this point I'm willing to wield my Project Leaders Veto on accepting
> > transifex.net content. Giving commercial entities rights over our name
> > and sources is a serious step, doing it without due consideration is
> > rather foolish, and doing it on other peoples behalf is morally
> > offensive and pretty much illegal.
>
> That's certainly your prerogative as a project leader.  However, I'm
> slightly confused by this paragraph -- would you mind giving me some
> clarification?  I don't know what you mean by "rights over our name
> and sources".  We're not giving Transifex any additional rights over
> the Fedora trademark or over the translated strings -- the strings are
> still licensed the exact same way as before.

The TOS clearly contains some legal rights over the usage of names and
sources. It doesn't matter what those rights are, the Fedora projects
has questionable legal right, and absolutely no moral right, to make
that choice for non Fedora projets. It's reprehensible that Fedora would
make ANY such decision on the behalf of non-Fedora projects.

> As to the legality of moving to a hosted solution, I did make sure
> that Fedora Legal was involved and got sign-off from them before
> moving ahead with our migration.  If you feel that something we've
> done is somehow illegal, please bring it to the attention of Fedora
> Legal or the Red Hat legal department so that they're aware of your
> concerns.

Making the change for Fedora is fine. Telling people they either move or
find another way is fine. Moving non-Fedora projects without getting
explicit permission to do so is decidedly off color.

Cheers, Jeff.