[publican-list] Publican 3.0 -- with DocBook 5 or without?

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 04:47:25 UTC 2011

Hey all;

It's been six months since our last release and the bugfixes have been
piling up, along with a few major enhancements. We'd like to ship
Publican 3.0 sometime soon.

However, we also face a major design decision. Publican was designed to
support DocBook 4; now that DocBook 5 is out, do we want to move
Publican to use that instead?

Since we'll need new, separate stylesheets for DocBook 5, supporting
both versions of the schema would require more maintenance than we're
able to provide. It really has to be one or the other.

The single biggest reason to move to DocBook 5 is that DocBook 4 is now
feature-frozen and in maintenance mode; the DocBook project's energies
are going into DocBook 5.[1]

Against that, the new style sheets will create the potential for
breakage. Documents will need careful checking to make sure that they
render properly. This will require effort from everyone in the community.

We need to know that Publican userbase is going to help find the
inevitable problems and file bugs when they do.

Opinions please, people?

Cheers
Rudi

[1]