[publican-list] Dbfo keep-together instructions stripped out by publican?

Jared Morgan jmorgan at redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 03:22:24 UTC 2012

Hi Norman

Apologies for the tl:dr response that follows, but stick with it and hopefully it will help you.

I had trouble getting FOP playing nicely on F16 at all. I asked internally here, and it was suggested that I give the wkhtmltopdf plugin a shot for PDF generation.

You might want to revisit the thread back in August 2011, that goes into a bit of detail about the testing of the tool. Jeff has rolled some of his own RPMs, which are available from the links in the email thread below..

https://www.redhat.com/archives/publican-list/2011-August/msg00063.html

Caveat: this is not yet implemented in publican fully yet, and is very much a beta feature. But it is about 10 times faster than FOP, and at least for me, results in frankly beautiful PDF output (thanks Publican team for getting it this far!!).

It *might* also solve some of your table problems that FOP is causing. The keep-together issue has stripped out entire <task> blocks from PDFs that are larger than 1 page in length.

If wkhtmltopdf does not fix your issue, or makes it worse, just remove both packages and you are back to FOP.

Based on previous bugs I raised against FOP issues, I don't think this will be fixed any time soon (because to get it working correctly across the many scenarios that require keep-together is a tremor-inducing nightmare).

I hope this helps you out. It certainly made the PDFs I was generating locally look fantastic, and function correctly.

Cheers

Jared Morgan
EPP Maintenance Lead | PressGang Lead
Red Hat Asia Pacific