[publican-list] RHEL 6 packages for publican 2.8 and 3.0.0

Norman Dunbar Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 16:18:03 UTC 2012

Afternoon Eric,

On 08/11/12 14:06, Eric H. Christensen wrote:

>> anything like me!) and the indexes are next to useless. On which
>> page will I find the recursion section? Ah yes, see the Recursion
>> Section. Hmmm, not particularly helpful.
>
> Hmmm, this is disappointing to hear.  I wonder if there is something we can do to fix that in there or if we need to drop back and punt (fix fop).

As I see it, Publican creates a PDF by going first to HTML then using
wkhtmltopdf to convert that to PDF. This is fine, and works reasonably
well - based on what I saw a long time back when it was first introduced
- but HTML doesn't do page numbers, so links are all section or chapter
headings.

Converting such HTML to PDF will always (I assume) result in the "wrong"
type of index entries. Plus, if I have a number of page numbers in my
index, fop creates them rather neatly, converting HTML gives a list  of
sections. Very messy. :-(

I don't suppose there are any other FO->PDF converters around that could
replace fop? My problem is that I'm a Database Administrator and not a
Perl developer, so looking at Publican's source is not a helpful thing
for me to do. I can follow some of it, but then I lose the plot!

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar