[publican-list] Partial URL Entity Expansion in ulink?

AdamD. adam820 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 22:14:30 UTC 2013

I've looked around the internet for examples of using expanded entities as
ulink URLs, but in all the instances I've found they use the entire link,
such as:

<!ENTITIY myurl "http://www.thisismy.com/url"> or, the entire <ulink> tag
structure as the entity.

What I'm looking to do is use an entity to represent just part of a URL,
leading up to the final file. I'm trying to put links to files distributed
via HTTP, and while the filenames should remain fairly constant the DNS
name/HTTP link of the URL may change names, and not having to go update
individual URLs all through a document would be a huge time-saver.

What seems to work when locally built (HTML, PDF, etc. on local machine) is
putting the entity in the .ent file like <!ENTITY MYURL "
http://docs.mysite.com/itfiles/tutorial"> and the ulink as:

<ulink url="&MYURL;/awesomefile.txt">file</ulink>

This correctly generates the URL to the external site in the PDF, HTML,
etc. However, when this is packaged as an RPM and deployed on the
documentation site, it makes the final URL as displayed  "
http://docs.mysite.com/awesomefile.txt" instead of pointing to the correct
external link (which happens to be on the same server, just a different
URL).

I saw a post about using correct XML, and putting the entity as
"&MYURL;", but this just makes the URL "
http://docs.mysite.com/&MYURL/awesomefile.txt" without expanding the
entity, taking the literal text.

Is there a proper way to do this, if at all?

Thanks in advance.

--
Adam D.