[publican-list] Publican 3.2 is now out!!! Get it now!!!!!!

Zac Dover zdover at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 07:33:20 UTC 2013

We are happy to announce the release of Publican 3.2!

The highest-priority fixes and enhancements in this release add improvements and considerable flexibility to Publican-driven websites, allowing heavier brand customisation. In particular, brands can now ship web templates and site-level JavaScript. Interoperability with docs generated outside Publican is also better, allowing custom "img_dir" and "extras" directories, and support for a wider range of DocBook 4 conditions (all of them now!)

This version of Publican continues to improve the quality of PDFs we produce with wkhtmltopdf, with many bugfixes and enhancements to presentation. We also pass options to wkhtmltopdf to give you more control of the PDF layout, and support <corpauthor>s as well as individual <author>s for the first time ever. BUT we haven't forgotten FOP lovers too! You can now switch between PDF engines with the --pdftool option on the command line.

For translators, Publican 3.2 fixes strings getting broken up (or losing pieces completely) when certain tags were nested inside other tags. It also prevents a common problem where revision numbers got tangled up when "update_po" was run multiple times on the same content. Publican 3.2 supports /some/ languages when a project uses only the language subtag to identify a language (for example, ja), but we still always recommend using a locale subtag too (ja-JP). We also include a new action: "publican trans_drop", which takes a snapshot of a book's XML and uses it as the basis for POT files, thus minimising the chances of writers inadvertently breaking translators' work.

And a few other things to make life easier:
* programming languages are now case-insensitive in the "language" attribute (no more guessing about what the Kate highlighting engine prefers!)
* entities in CDATA tags are left unresolved
* XML is supported in add_revision messages

All together, there are about 60 things fixed or added to this new version of Publican; you can find a more complete description of what's new in the Release Notes at:  http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/en-US/Publican/3.2/html/Release_Notes/index.html

You can find the tarball at: https://fedorahosted.org/releases/p/u/publican/Publican-v3.2.0.tar.gz
and the SRPM at: https://fedorahosted.org/releases/p/u/publican/publican-3.2.0-0.el6.src.rpm

Thanks to everyone involved in Publican 3.2 testing! This includes Laura Bailey, Jodi Biddle, Petr Bokoc, Tomas Capek, Steve Gordon, Tim Hildred, Dan MacPherson, Katie Miller, Misha Husnain Ali, Dayle Parker, Petr Penicka, Martin Prpic, Scott Radvan, Bruce Reeler, and Gemma Sheldon. I apologize to anyone I may have missed.

Thanks to everyone who worked on the release notes! This includes (and I'm going alphabetically here): Laura Bailey, Misha Husnain Ali, Rüdiger Landmann, Dayle Parker, Scott Radvan, Bruce Reeler, and Gemma Sheldon.

J. Zachary Dover
Content Author II
Engineering Content Services

Red Hat Asia Pacific