[publican-list] Publican 3.1 GA

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 06:31:04 UTC 2013

On 02/06/2013 04:14 PM, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> Publican 3.1 is now out. It's mostly a bugfix release with very few
> changes that are visible to most users.
>
> Probably the most significant issues resolved this time are related to
> PDF generation. Previously, the PDFs produced by wkhtmltopdf had some
> interesting quirks, like internal links that dumped you in the middle of
> sections or chapters instead of the beginning, and admonitions and other
> cruft that crept into the table of contents displayed by PDF viewers.
> These and other quirks are now fixed, and a few enhancements to the PDF
> structure (better-defined covers and titlepages) have been added. You
> can find a full list of the changes below.
>
> The source RPM is available from:
> https://fedorahosted.org/releases/p/u/publican/publican-3.1.0-2.el6.src.rpm
>
> I hope to have this packaged for Fedora in the next week or so.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rudi
>
> 661946 [RFE] Hard coded paths to share files
> 787243 Publican Users Guide. New section created for installing in
> OpenSuse.
> 839128 Docbook 5 schema is hardcoded
> 839975 RFE: scripts directory in brand
> 845432 Revision History sorted wrongly when packaging translated books
> 846899 Too many formal objects get ToC entries in PDF
> 847206 <p/> renders with content outside tags
> 854425 XmlClean alters file permissions
> 863899 Interlingua support
> 872432 RFE: support a language variable in the menu_category config file
> parameter
> 873586 "Draft" watermark does not display in PDF
> 874180 The test suite fails in 110.CreateBrand.t and 920.WebSite.t
> 874277 Spelling mistakes in POD documentation
> 874344 RFE -- expose the cover option for wkhtmltopdf
> 874795 FAQ TOCs do no render in PDFs. You get double headings.
> 875021 publican build ignores --brand_dir, and doesn't accept a rel
> 875967 Tables are generated with a 1px border and have no marker class
> 879388 Clickable links to different parts of a book do not work properly
> 880621 misaligned items in bread-crumb navigation
> 894522 /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Publican/ is unowned

Just a note for people using wkhtmtopdf. I had to do some patched for
10.2_rc to get some of the PDF stuff fixed. I intend to pass these
upstream for consideration but I thought I'd attach the patches here so
anyone who wants can use them a.s.a.p.

shortanchors.patch fixes a bug where using a deep path when creating a
PDF can make the PDF unreadable on some commercial software.

No tocintoc.patch actually does two things. Firstly it stops the TOC
appearing in the TOC. Secondly it changes the behaviour of page
numbering so that having multiple cover pages, as we do in 3.1, doesn't
make the starting page number increase. That is, without the patch the
more cover pages you add, the higher the page numbers are in the TOC.

For brand owners the behaviour of headers, footers, and cover pages has
changed. There is now a new directory in the publican install,
book_templates, which controls the content of TOC, headers, footers, and
the cover pages. If you copy this directory to the root directory of
your your brand, you can override the XSL and Template::Toolkit
templates, allowing total control of these components in your brand.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer