Re: [Pulp-dev] pulp 3 distributor use cases

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 12:38 AM, Eric Helms <ehelms redhat com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Dennis Kliban <dkliban redhat com> wrote:
Distributors are only used for exporting Publications out of Pulp.

Distributions make Publications available to consume via http(s) at /content/relative/path/of/distribution/. Each Publication can be associated with any number of Distributions.

You lost me a bit here getting into distributions. I think I want to be able to export the same repository to two separate published locations.

Say I have a repository A. I want to make repository A available at the following paths:

Is that possible in the design?

Yes it is possible. A Distribution defines a relative path at which a Publication is made available. In Pulp 3, 'pulp/repos' portion of the path has been replaced with 'content'. The rest of the URL is defined by the relative path of a Distribution. Your example would actually be

https://myserver/content/Acme/Dev/Version_2/
https://myserver/content/Acme/Test/Version_2/

'Acme/Dev/Version_2' would be the relative path of one Distribution.
'Acme/Test/Version_2' would be the relative path of the other Distribution.

I foresee Katello only using Distributions and not Distributors. Distributors are needed for use cases where users want to continue using symlinks for their published content. A good example would be to export a Publication to the CDN which does not have access to the Pulp database. A Distributor would generate symlinks and rsync them and the artifacts they point to to the CDN. Then content can be consumed from the CDN without Pulp being installed there.

As long as content is being served from a web server that has access to the Pulp database, a Distribution should be all that is necessary.

The names are very similar, but perform different function. Perhaps Distributors should be called Exporters instead.

For me, either naming scheme works though perhaps for most exporters might click easier.