[Pulp-dev] Using Gunicorn and Static Files

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 17:08:40 UTC 2018

tl;dr: let's adopt Whitenoise as the static solution for pulp3. If anyone
is -1 on this, please reply.

Really this is a choice between (a) having all users struggle through a
STATIC_FILES config or (b) having users who plan to use Nginx or Apache
struggle through it. The less struggle the better I think, so let's adopt
Whitenoise as the default. It would be a nice batteries included default to
provide which I think is worth the downside of picking up Whitenoise as a
Pulp3 dependency. Note most users will still want to use Nginx or Apache
because Whitenoise can only serve files that exist when it is started. What
you've shown me though is that there is a group for (a) also.

@ehelms would you be willing to make a PR for this change, a corresponding
issue, and also include the docs updates. I can provide review and testing.