[Pulp-dev] pulp 3 bindings change proposal

Matthias Dellweg dellweg at atix.de
Wed Jun 19 13:02:53 UTC 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 08:54:30 -0400
Dennis Kliban <dkliban at redhat.com> wrote:

> As pointed out in a recent issue[0], the method names in the bindings
> generated from Pulp's OpenAPI schema are unnecessarily verbose. Each
> method name corresponds to an Operation Id in the OpenAPI schema. The
> Operation Id is also used as an HTML anchor in the REST API docs[1].
>
> It is possible to generate a schema where each Operation Id is
> shorter, but then the Operation Ids are not unique and all the
> linking in the REST API documentation breaks. We can avoid this
> problem by keeping the long Operation Id for the schema generated for
> the docs and only using short Operation Ids when generating the
> schema for the bindings.
>
> The difference in usage of the bindings can be seen here[2].
>
> Is there any objection to including such a change in time for RC 3?
>
> [0] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4989
> [1] https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/restapi.html
> [2] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4989#note-1

As stated here [0] very clearly, the operationID must be uniq in the
whole api. So i think, this aproach is dangerous.
I would prefer, useing something else in the python library template
[1].

[0] https://swagger.io/specification/#operationObject
[1]
https://github.com/OpenAPITools/openapi-generator/blob/dfa7e616c0f311f3ebf58c04287f200c8e491f08/modules/openapi-generator/src/main/resources/python/api.mustache#L29

Herzliche Grüße aus München

Matthias Dellweg
Dr. Matthias M. Dellweg

(Open Source Software Engineer)

Tel: +49 (0)89 452 35 38-12
Fax: +49 (0)89 452 35 38-290
E-Mail: dellweg at atix.de

ATIX - The Linux & Open Source Company

ATIX Informationstechnologie und Consulting AG
Parkring 15
85748 Garching bei München
www.atix.de

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, Registernummer: HRB 168930
USt.-Id.: DE209485962
Vorstand: Thomas Merz (Vors.), Mark Hlawatschek
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Martin Buss