[Pulp-dev] Repo versions with no changes

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 20:50:19 UTC 2019

Currently in pulp, syncs always create repository versions regardless of
whether or not any content changed. One of the tasks[0] for 3.0 GA is to
document this behavior. However, I've heard several complaints about this
from users so I wonder if it's worth reconsidering.

Here are some reasons against always creating repo versions:
- They were meant to serve as a historical record but this information is
available by looking at the tasks api
- It creates additional, unnecessary versions and bumps the latest version
number of the repo
- If we ever have a feature to retain only the latest X repo versions,
it'll be less useful since some repo versions may not have any changes

Any thoughts? I'd like to get this on the sprint by Wednesday so it can be
changed before the dev freeze date of Nov 12.

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3308

David