[Pulp-dev] Dealing with our redmine backlog

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 18:53:11 UTC 2020

We've been discussing the possibility of closing issues in redmine due to
the overwhelming number of issues at NEW. Currently, we have 930 issues at
NEW and I think that exceeds our capacity to address each issue
individually.

The first item I want to bring up for discussion is expanding the ability
for users to reopen closed issues. Currently only authors can reopen issues
at CLOSED excluding CLOSED - DUPLICATE and CLOSED - COMPLETE. Should we
expand this to all redmine users?

If we expand this permission, this should give us the ability to safely
close out issues that fit some criteria. I looked at the pulpcore issues
and limited the issues to just ones without a Katello tag or a BZ and that
were created before 2020[0]. This still leaves us with almost 300 NEW
issues in pulpcore which still seems unrealistic to go through. Any
thoughts on what criteria to use?

[0] It would be better to use updated at to scope issues but unfortunately
a lot of older issues have been updated recently due to spam comments

David