Re: [Pulp-list] Pulp updates

On Aug 26, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

Matthew Barr wrote:
It'd be nice to keep track of the groups file, and add that automatically to the createrepo command backend.

I'm not sure what data is stored, etc.. but we need to keep track of this already, when we deal w/ repos for cobbler.

Do you mean comps.xml? Are you manipulating comps.xml for dealing with cobbler repos? E.g. are you adding/removing custom packages / creating new package groups directly in comps.xml? Are there any tools available for doing this or you have to hand-edit the xml file?

Yes, I mean comps.xml. We're not manipulating them currently, but I have to deal w/ a strange circumstance where I get updates that come in separately from the comps.xml. It's all due to how Oracle packages their updates. I'm actually curious how many repos a typical Centos DVD install produces, as I know that cobbler makes about 5 repos for a DVD of RHEL.

I'm not doing any editing, so far, as we just use cfengine to deal with package installation. The one MASSIVE set of dependencies is handled by Oracle's oracle-validated rpm, which installs all Oracle DB dependencies.

It would be very nice to be able to set up yum repos easily on machines after build time...

Definitely. One idea we got from jimi_c in #rhel was to generate a package for each repo that you can go rpm -ivh http://yourpulpserver/foo/bar-repo.rpm that will lay down the yum repo file and perhaps install the repo's gpg key for you if need be. Would that sort of functionality meet your need here?

Hmm... Interesting. Not a bad thing. The next thought is you end up w/ a repo of repo RPM's. We're just cheating w/ the wget lines from cobbler, dumping the files into the right place. Pretty much the same thing. I can see if working nicely. Also, a package can be updated, which is nice, if you have to do a change of repo location, or some setting.

Matthew Barr
Community Connect  - Senior System Engineer
e:mbarr communityconnect com
c:347.682.8380
aim: matthewbarr1