[Pulp-list] How about we just merge these core features into Cobbler?

Sorry for the late reply, I was looking over the pulp features list up on the Wiki a few weeks ago.

Serious question -- it seems the features mentioned for Pulp (other than interface features) are suitable to be added to Cobbler in ways that requires people use less tools. I'd like to minimize duplication and most of the yum/RPM management stuff is already there and has been in use for several years. It seems to do most of what people want with the exception of solid RHN mirroring (which is a complex issue, but perhaps solveable just by supporting Proxy in a clean way).

I think we could just add most of everything else pretty easily. I take patches!

Originally I had said it would be nice to not have to maintain the yum repo parts in Cobbler, but they have since grown a lot more and are in wider use. We have the integration with profiles already done, and can do things like package whitelists already. Folks are generally achieving the "cloning" features through hardlinking, which we could aslo integrate and look at other things beyond that as needed.

Anyhow, something to think about...

--Michael