Re: [Pulp-list] How about we just merge these core features into Cobbler?

Máirín Duffy wrote:
Michael DeHaan wrote:
Máirín Duffy wrote:
I think we are stuck in metaphor land :)

I also think we provide those in the form of documentation pretty well already.

Not everyone reads documentation. It's tailored to one type of learner. A lot of people prefer to learn by tinkering/modifying a predefined/existing system rather than reading documentation manuals.

FWIW, I'm one of those people. When I write down notes, I don't read them back.

For those things, I use "command --help" and quickly skim options I need. The existing cobbler web app also has tooltips (your recommendation) for those kinds of people. What it doesn't have are basic views for basic uses, which is the thing I'm want to do for a upcoming (soonish) release.

Yeh, but I think where you say "perspective" I'm thinking different UI / different workflow. Although then they could be tied together in different tabs and look the same so they could "look" like perspectives - but essentially they would be different UIs developed as such.

Maybe create some mockups to see what this might look like?

That's a pretty big project to take on. Unless you mean just making them 'look' like perspectives, for which there are already mockups on the pulp site to show that kind of framework.

yeah I am not sure what the goal of this project is. I was thinking if you are still interested in some kind of new web tool for repos I wondered what it might look like. I've seen the existing stuff but wasn't sure
if you were talking about something different or not.

It seems there are two topics here, of which I am most interested in the second

(A) Making a new web app, possibly to be included with and/or replace parts of Spacewalk (B) Adding some repo management features that Cobbler can't do yet ... whether that be in cobbler or otherwise