Re: [Pulp-list] CDS Wiki

On 12/21/2010 07:47 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:

https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/ExternalCDS

I put together a... I guess you'd call it a detailed usage guide. It's
got information on the general overview of how they work, how to set up
a CDS, how the pulp-admin commands work, some current limitations of the
subsystem, and some testing notes.

I'm hoping this along with yesterday's demo will be enough to get QE on
their way, but I'm still trying to figure out the proper level of detail
that users can use this but not having to duplicate a lot of information
in a QE handoff type page. Let me know what you think of the format.

perhaps an intro block with a "here is why you might want to use a CDS". I know some of that is on the design page but end users really shouldn't need to read the design page to figure out what a CDS is. Perhaps something like:

"""
== Intro ==

Do you have a lot of machines hitting your Pulp server? Need to balance the load across a series of machines and not have a single point of failure for distributing your packages? If so you may want to consider setting up one or more CDS (Content Delivery Server) instances in combination with your Pulp server. Each CDS instance can contain a copy of the repositories you are managing in your Pulp server and offload your client's package requests. This can assist with load balancing as well as a distributed infrastructure that would allow you to keep the packages on servers close to the machines.
"""

Also perhaps a simple diagram of a pulp server with a bunch of CDS instances. pretty pictures always help when you are describing multi-box setups.

other than that looks good,
Mike