[Pulp-list] CDS Wiki

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Tue Dec 21 17:10:21 UTC 2010

On 12/21/2010 07:47 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:

> https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/ExternalCDS
>
> I put together a... I guess you'd call it a detailed usage guide. It's
> got information on the general overview of how they work, how to set up
> a CDS, how the pulp-admin commands work, some current limitations of the
> subsystem, and some testing notes.
>
> I'm hoping this along with yesterday's demo will be enough to get QE on
> their way, but I'm still trying to figure out the proper level of detail
> that users can use this but not having to duplicate a lot of information
> in a QE handoff type page. Let me know what you think of the format.

perhaps an intro block with a "here is why you might want to use a CDS".
  I know some of that is on the design page but end users really
shouldn't need to read the design page to figure out what a CDS is.
Perhaps something like:

"""
== Intro ==

Do you have a lot of machines hitting your Pulp server?  Need to balance
the load across a series of machines and not have a single point of
failure for distributing your packages?  If so you may want to consider
setting up one or more CDS (Content Delivery Server) instances in
combination with your Pulp server.  Each CDS instance can contain a copy
of the repositories you are managing in your Pulp server and offload
your client's package requests.  This can assist with load balancing as
well as a distributed infrastructure that would allow you to keep the
packages on servers close to the machines.
"""

Also perhaps a simple diagram of a pulp server with a bunch of CDS
instances.  pretty pictures always help when you are describing
multi-box setups.

other than that looks good,
Mike